Thursday, May 10, 2012

Obama Devolves on Same-Sex Marriage

President Obama announced a couple of years ago that his view of same-sex marriage was evolving.  Wednesday he evolved, or better devolved.  He now supports same-sex marriage.

As only Obama can do with a straight face, he cited his Christian faith among the reasons for his decision.  It is being true to the Golden Rule, treating others as you want to be treated, that compels him to support same-sex marriage.  Funny, in his 2008 campaign Obama framed his opposition to same-sex marriage in Christian terms. “I believe that marriage is the union between a man and a woman. For me as a Christian, it’s also a sacred union. God’s in the mix.”

I guess his Christian faith has evolved, or devolved too. Before I get too far about the same-sex marriage issue let's address his contrived, convenient, and totally wrong application of scripture. (It's not his first.) Obama's application of the Golden Rule is misplaced and absurd.  If my neighbor kills his wife do I say to myself I must treat him like I want to be treated, therefore I support the action?  Of course not. I condemn the behavior and want justice to take its course.  I may apply the Golden Rule by treating him with dignity and fairness (even though our human nature says he he does not deserve it) as he tried for his crime. 

The Golden Rule does not excuse sin.  (Oh my, did I actually use that offensive three-letter word that we have no use for anymore?) The Golden Rule challenges us to treat others how we would want to be treated.  It is easier to think of self, but Christ invokes the Golden Rule to get us to think of others.
 
There are a lot of good, logical reasons to oppose same-sex marriage.  The traditional family has been the building block of society from the beginning of mankind.  Regardless of your religious perspective the union of male and female is natural.  It leads to the propagation of the species. To argue against human understanding that has stood for millenia and to argue against nature is irrational. There is the logical argument: there actually is no discrimination in regards to our marriage laws.  Any man or woman can marry - as long as a man marries a woman and a woman marries a man.  Homosexuals can marry, as long as they marry someone of the opposite sex. I could go on and many before me have debated the issue in these terms.  Let's get to the real issue.

We need to oppose same-sex marriage because God calls homosexual acts sin.  I say this in all humility and with the acknowledgement that I too am a sinner.  I repeat that God calls homosexuality sin and I say it with no malice to the sinner.  I did not make this up and I do not hold myself up as holier than another sinner, but I accept God's laws.  God provides a moral code for our own good. Society is better when it accepts God's laws.


The President spoke of committed gay couples that he knows and/or work for him.  These people love one another and are good citizens.  This may be true. Let's just say that 99% of practicing homosexuals have wonderful, endearing qualities. This does not negate that they also willfully disobey God with no repentance.  Because they are really committed to their relationship does not make it right.  Because they have good qualities does not require society to condone their bad behavior, or to legitimize it with a legal "marriage."

If I am a wonderful family man, but I steal from my neighbor are you going to condone my stealing? Or if I am a good public servant and I cheat on my wife are you going to think we need to change the laws to permit infidelity?

Fortunately President Obama's announcement in support of same-sex marriage has no effect on federal or state policy.  It is another warning shot to states like Pennsylvania that we need to pass a constitutional amendment that declares the obvious (yes, that is where we are): marriage is between one man and one woman.

When society accepts sin as normal we are committing a slow suicide.  Or maybe we have already slid down that slippery slope.  Accepting same-sex marriage is not evolving, Mr. President.  It is a devolution of what God created to be wholesome and good.


No comments:

Post a Comment